News  |  World

Two die, two critical after lice treatment

Two die, two critical after lice treatment
The four were rushed to hospital after a family member found them suffering dizziness and vomiting after Akhir Rutiyanii rubbed pesticide on their heads. Photo for illustration purpose
JAKARTA: A mother's effort to rid her children of head lice by using pesticide ended up with two of her daughters dead, while she and the other daughter are in critical condition.

According to the online media, in the incident in Desa Kiringan, Boyolali, Central Java two days ago, Qaulan Shakila, 9, and her sister Khamilla, 4, died yesterday while receiving treatment at a hospital for vomiting.

Their mother, Akhir Rutiyani, 35, and another sister Klarissa, 12, are reported to be in critical condition at the intensive care unit of Pandan Arang Hospital in Boyolali.
The four were rushed to hospital after a family member found them suffering dizziness and vomiting after Akhir Rutiyanii rubbed pesticide on their heads.

According to Boyolali police CID chief Miftakul Huda, the initial investigation found that Akhir Rutiyani had obtained the 'lice cure' from a neighbour earlier in the day before using it that night.

He said police were gathering evidence from witnesses and had sent the pesticide for laboratory tests.

-- BERNAMA