Tremor felt in Penang,Kedah,Selangor and Melaka as earthquake hits Sumatera
Bernama | Updated: July 02, 2013
(First published on: July 02, 2013 18:03 MYT)
The Meteorological Department of Malaysia in a statement today said the epicentre of the earthquake was 65km South-West of Lhokseumawe, Indonesia and 385km South-West of Balik Pulau in Penang. However, no Tsunami threats were issued.
Meanwhile, in Penang, more than 100 people rushed out of the Komplex Tun Abdul Razak (Komtar) building as tremors were felt in the 65-storey building.
A witness, Nurul Amarlina Mohamad Adam Yap, 25, said she felt dizzy for a few minutes but never expected it was due to an earthquake.
"I thought I was not feeling well until I saw others rushing out of the building and realised that it was due to tremors felt in the building," she said.
In Perak, the Jalan Perak Fire and Rescue Department when contacted said numerous calls were received following tremors in the state due to the earthquake in North Sumatera.
To watch more of Astro's popular programmes and infotainment, use Astro on the Go http://onthego.astro.com.my
- 32 dead, 76 missing in Indonesian landslide
- Police to open investigation papers on Penang Chief Minister
- 1MDB: Penang UMNO not in a hurry to take action against Khairuddin
- Report against 1MDB nothing to do with Penang UMNO - Penang UMNO secretary
- Ku Nan urges Khairuddin to withdraw police report against 1MDB