Ahmad Said becomes Independent due to daughter's wedding reception
Abdul Hakim Rahman, Astro Awani | Updated: May 13, 2014
(First published on: May 13, 2014 09:56 MYT)
When contacted by Astro AWANI, Ahmad Said said, he had requested his resignation as MB to be postponed but it had been rejected by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak who reportedly said the request was a “personal matter”.
“Is it not enough, all the things that I have done in the five years I had served as Menteri Besar?
“I had asked to postpone, not that I did not want to resign, I just wanted to wait until after my daughter’s wedding reception,” he said.
Ahmad Said added, the change of MB had been directed by Najib himself.
A few hours after Ahmad Said resigned as Menteri Besar, Ajil State Assemblyman Ghazali Taib also defected from UMNO to be an Independent, leaving the Terengganu State Legislative Assembly now with Barisan Nasional (BN) and the Pakatan Rakyat (PR) pact evenly matched with 15 seats each and two Independents.
According to Ahmad Said, he is not sure if other State Assemblymen will follow suit and defect from the party.
To watch more of Astro's popular programmes and infotainment, use Astro on the Go http://onthego.astro.com.my
- Govt still studying structure of new fuel subsidy rationalisation scheme
- Najib to launch zilzar.com on second day of working visit to Dubai
- Defence claims sodomy charge against Anwar a conspiracy
- Jan 12 trial for former Perak MB's slander case against Najib
- Perak UMNO expected to focus on Sedition Act at general assembly