: The search and rescue (SAR) operation for the missing Malaysia Airlines MH370 will now focus on the southern tip of the southern corridor based on the analysis provided by UK Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) and Inmarsat
“As a result of the new data analysis, the search and rescue operation in the northern corridor has been called off. The forces has also stopped the SAR operation in the northern part of the southern corridor close to Indonesia.
“All search efforts are now focused in the southern part of the southern corridor in an area covering some 469, 407 square nautical miles. This is against 2.24 million square nautical miles which was announced on March 18,” said acting Transport Minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Hussein at a press conference at PWTC earlier this evening.
He added the forces will narrow down the search area further by gathering information from satellite surveillance, analysis of surveillance radar data, increasing air and surface assets and increasing the number of technical and subject matter experts.
Malaysia will continue to coordinate the SAR efforts and Hishammuddin applauded Australia’s effort in taking in the lead in the area.
“Australia has taken a major part in the lead. During the last few days, they have done it seriously,” Hishammuddin said.
When asked what would happen if certain countries decide to provide assistance, Hishammuddin reiterated that Malaysia will go ahead in the search for the black box
“I have met the experts from the French team. They information have been shared with us and we have shared the information with our team,” he said.
Earlier, Australian Defence Minister David Johnston
said the data presented by British satellite Inmarsat and the UK Air Accidents Investigation Branch is currently the best information that the Malaysian authorities have to come to the conclusion that flight MH370 ended its journey in the southern Indian Ocean.