Tutup

Low Yat: 'Don't believe everything on social media, leave it to the police' - Najib

Low Yat: 'Don't believe everything on social media, leave it to the police' - Najib
Najib (left) handing out contributions to a child during the Nur Ramadan programme today. - Astro AWANI/Shahir Omar
KUALA LUMPUR: Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak today advised the public to practice caution and not believe everything that had been posted on the Internet regarding the riot at Low Yat Plaza recently.

He said, irresponsible parties had uploaded several fake photos on social media sites only to incite hatred among the people and paint an incorrect picture of the incident to the public.
“I urge the public not to simply believe what had been posted on social media regarding the incident. Remain calm and let the police resolve this case because they are the only ones capable of preserving public order.

“Don’t simply believe in what had been posted on social media,” he said in a press conference after handing out contributions to senior citizens, single mothers and other individuals at the Federal Territories Ministry’s ‘Nur Ramadan with the Homeless’ programme at a temporary shelter in Medan Tuanku today.
Also present was Federal Territories Minister, Datuk Seri Tengku Adnan Tengku Mansor.

Najib said, freedom of speech on social media should be studies at length following the incident.

Three people were detained in a riot that broke out at Low Yat Plaza early this morning and have been remanded for three days beginning Sunday.

Defence attorney Mohd Khairul Azam Abdul Aziz said, the police may apply for an extension of the remand order, the individuals may be charged be charged in court or released on bail.

Khairul said, he met with the three individuals at the Dang Wangi police headquarters yesterday and they were surprised with what had transpired.

At least three people were injured in the incident including a reporter while four people were detained following the riot that broke out at Low Yat Plaza early this morning.

On Saturday, police had detained a 22-year-old man, who is believed to be involved in a brawl at the shopping centre.

The brawl at 7.38pm on Saturday, was said to have erupted following the suspect’s dissatisfaction after he was accused of stealing a mobile phone and subsequently detained by Low Yat Plaza’s security guards.