Tutup

Low Yat brawl: 19 people detained so far

Low Yat brawl: 19 people detained so far
Police have detained 19 individuals believed to have been involved in the fight and ruckus at Low Yat Plaza. - Astro AWANI/Shahir Omar
KUALA LUMPUR: Police have detained 19 individuals believed to have been involved in the fight and ruckus at Low Yat Plaza.

Inspector-General of Police, Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar, in a WhatsApp message to Astro AWANI tonight said, the number does not include the blogger known as Papa Gomo.

Khalid had also ordered police to track down the blogger, whose real name is Wan Muhammad Azri Wan Deris, for spreading false information regarding the brawl at the electronics centre on Saturday.

“It would be better for him (Papa Gomo) to surrender himself before the police go and look for him. The police will detain him to facilitate investigations,” he said.
Meanwhile, all the individuals detained are men aged between 16 and 26. It is understood that a remand order has been issued for four days beginning today.

A urine test has also been conducted on all the suspects to determine whether they had been using drugs. Police are also cooperating with Oppo employees to assist in investigations regarding the mobile phone theft incident.
Some seven people have been reported injured throughout the fight ruckus that erupted at Low Yat Plaza from Saturday to early Monday morning, three of them reporters.

The situation outside the plaza became violent late Sunday following a brawl between two groups just hours after police had instructed those congregated outside the plaza to disperse.

The commotion involved several fist fights. Motorcycle helmets and other items were also thrown between the warring groups.

However, police today have confirmed that the area surrounding Bukit Bintang as safe and officers have been deployed to ensure the situation is under control.

Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak today has also advised social media users to not believe everything that has been posted on the Internet regarding the ruckus at Low Yat Plaza recently.

He said, there were irresponsible parties that had uploaded false photos on the incident on social media sites only to incite hatred among the people and paint an incorrect picture of the incident to the public.