: The government's decision to allow motorsports competitions to be held from July 15 will help revitalise the industry following the COVID-19 outbreak, says Sepang International Circuit (SIC) chief executive officer Azhan Shafriman Hanif.
He said the move would give SIC the opportunity to organise several championships that had been postponed due to the pandemic.
Among them are the Malaysia Superbike Championship, the Malaysia Championship Series, the S1K (Sepang 1,000km endurance race) and the Petronas Malaysia Cub Prix Championship.
"On the status of organising international tournaments such as the MotoGP World Motorcycle Championship, we will provide the latest information by the end of this month.
"Our focus right now is to ensure that the local (motor) championships run smoothly, and everyone involved follows the standard operating procedures set (by the authorities)," Azhan said in a statement yesterday.
Senior Minister (Security Cluster) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob at a press conference yesterday announced that the government had given the green light for organising local tournaments and competitions without spectators for non-contact sports including motorsports, beginning July 15.