: Employers found not registering illegal foreign workers under the Illegal Immigrants Rehiring and Relocation Programme will be charged in court.
Deputy Home Minister Datuk Nur Jazlan Mohamed said court action would be taken against employers if they were detained by immigration enforcement.
"Under the programme, if employers did not register their workers and if the Immigration Department on enforcement campaign catch them, we will straight away charge them in court.
"There will be no more compounds imposed, in fact irresponsible employers will be brought to court and will face jail term if necessary," he told reporters, here Wednesday.
Nur Jazlan also advised employers not to wait till the last minute to register their workers.
"Register as soon as possible, it will relieve them (employers) from any responsibility when enforcement officers make their rounds," he said and added that so far more than 2,000 employers and 12,000 illegal immigrants had registered under the programme.
The programme implemented online was aimed at giving illegal immigrants working illegally in the country to obtain valid work permit in the required employment sectors.
He also directed the Immigration Department to launch operations and raids at shopping centres flooded with illegal immigrants especially in retailing premises and restaurants in the Klang Valley, Penang and Johor.
On employers victimising their workers, Nur Jazlan said they would face action under the Anti-Trafficking in Persons and Anti-Smuggling of Migrants Act (ATIPSOM) 2007.
"For example if the employers agreed to pay salaries and did not comply with the condition causing the foreign workers to run away, their employers can be charged under ATIPSOM 2007. There is a specific clause which enabled employers to be charged," he said.