: Syarikat Smart Partnership International (M) Sdn Bhd which is searching for treasures allegedly left by the Melaka Sultanate on Pulau Nangka is given until Aug 1 to conclude the search.
State Tourism, Development of River, Beach and Island Committee deputy chairman Datuk Ghazale Muhamad said the search should cease immediately if it was not fruitful.
He said the move was necessary in order to protect the ecosystem and nature on the island which were feared affected due to the digging works in several areas on the island.
"The search must be stopped if in the period no concrete proof of the treasure is found. Let the island be as we do not want its natural ecosystem to be destroyed," he told reporters during a visit to the island here, Tuesday.
Also present was a member of the Melaka Museum Corporation (Perzim) board of directors Prof Datuk Dr Abdul Latiff Abu Bakar.
Ghazale said based on the visit, he found the company had dug in areas which were not allowed by the state government.
"Diggings are only allowed in two places. The company has to refill the other holes it had dug up," he added.
A Bernama survey found five areas had been dug up on the island.
Meanwhile, Abdul Latiff said Perzim would station an officer on Pulau Nangka to monitor the search to prevent damage to the structure of the island.
He said the company which started the search early this year should have submitted evidence first to the state government on the existence of treasure before digging in a new place.
On April 30, two artifacts were found by the company on the island but laboratory tests found them to be only ancient talismans believed to be from the era of the Majapahit Kingdom.