All 1,200 Malaysian students in Christchurch safe - Idris

All 1,200 Malaysian students in Christchurch safe - Idris
Local residents Chris and Viv Young look at damage caused by an earthquake along State Highway One, south of the township of Blenheim on New Zealand's South Island, November 14, 2016. /REUTERS/Anthony Phelps
KUALA LUMPUR: All 1,200 Malaysians studying at eight universities in Christchurch are reported safe after a 7.5 magnitude earthquake struck New Zealand overnight.

Higher Education Minister Datuk Seri Idris Jusoh said the Education Malaysia office and Malaysian High Commission of New Zealand had contacted student representatives in the universities and found all the students to be safe. 

"Education Malaysia in New Zealand had advised students to be sensitive, alert and to follow the advice of the New Zealand Civil Defence," he said in a statement on Monday.

Meanwhile, the Foreign Ministry said, the Malaysian High Commission in Wellington was monitoring closely the situation in the affected areas.

"As of now, no Malaysians are reported to be affected by the earthquake.

"Malaysians in the affected areas and those who require consular assistance are advised to contact the High Commission of Malaysia in Wellington," it said in a statement issued by Wisma Putra.

The High Commission of Malaysia in Wellington: Address: 10 Washington Avenue, Brooklyn,  P.O. Box 9422, Wellington 6141, New Zealand.

Telephone number: 00-64-4-385 2439/ 00-64-4-801 5659
Emergency telephone: 00-64-210440188 
Fax:00-64-4-385 6973
E-mail: mwwellington.kln@1govuc.gov.my 
WISMA PUTRA:  03-8887 4530 / 03-8887 4570 (after working hours)

A magnitude 7.5 earthquake hit South Island at 7.02pm yesterday. Its epicentre was 92km northeast of Christchurch and a tsunami warning was issued. So far two people have been reported killed.

The Malaysian Meteorological Department in a statement said a magnitude 6.5 earthquake jolted New Zealand’s South Island again at 8.34am today but said it posed no tsunami threat.