: The multi-agency task force probing the alleged misappropriation of funds from 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB)
says six bank accounts related to the investigation have been frozen.
The joint statement signed by Attorney-General Tan Sri Abdul Gani Patail, Bank Negara Governor Tan Sri Zeti Akhtar Aziz, Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar and Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission Chief, Tan Sri Abu Kassim Mohamed, said the order to freeze the six accounts was issued on July 6.
“We have also collected documents linked to 17 accounts from two banks, as part of our ongoing investigation," they said in the joint-statement.
The task force urged all parties to extend their full cooperation to assist in the investigation.
About US$700 million (RM2.6 billion) is alleged to have been moved through government agencies and companies linked to 1Malaysia Development Berhad before supposedly appearing in Najib’s personal accounts, the Wall Street Journal reported on July 3, citing documents from a government probe.
The task force conducted raids the same day on the premises of three companies
linked to the funds, Attorney-General Abdul Gani Patail said at the time.
Najib has called the claims part of a campaign of 'political sabotage'
aimed at ousting him.
The government ordered the Auditor-General to verify 1MDB’s accounts in March and Najib asked investigators to expedite the process in May.
The Auditor-General said last week it completed an interim report and will submit it on July 9 to a parliamentary committee that’s also probing 1MDB.